There is only one true lifemate for each Carpathian and a true lifemate is recognized by the restoration of emotions and color in a male Carpathian. Males are fiercely and jealously protective of their females and mates even more so. True lifemates find it difficult to be apart from each other and a total severing of contact—mental and physical—between true lifemates usually ends in suicide. It is very rare when one partner decides to live on without the other.
If the male does live on after his mate's death, he turns into a vampire. However, if the female is the one to survive, she lives a half life and only because she needs to live long enough to give birth or to wait for her children to survive without her.
The Ritual Words Edit
When a Carpathian male claims his mate, he speaks to her the ritual words (Sarna Rituaali) imprinted in him since birth:
Te avio päläfertiilam.
You are my lifemate.
Shortened Ritual Edit
This is the way the ritual was recited in early books in the series. It was essentially a short-hand for the above ritual before Christian Feehan began using the longer version.
"I claim you as my lifemate. I belong to you. I offer my life for you. I give to you my protection, my allegiance, my heart, my soul, and my body. I take into my keeping the same that is yours. Your life, happiness, and welfare will be cherished and placed above my own for all time. You are my lifemate, bound to me for all eternity and always in my care."
Lifemates Featured in Each BookEdit
- Dark Prince - Mikhail Dubrinsky & Raven Whitney
- Dark Desire - Jacques Dubrinsky & Shea O'Halloran
- Dark Gold - Aidan Savage & Alexandria Houton
- Dark Magic - Gregori Daratrazanoff & Savannah Dubrinsky
- Dark Challenge - Julian Savage & Desari Daratrazanoff
- Dark Fire - Darius Daratrazanoff & Tempest Trine; Barack & Syndil
- Dark Dream - Falcon Amiras & Sara Marten
- Dark Legend - Gabriel Daratrazanoff & Francesca del Ponce
- Dark Guardian - Lucian Daratrazanoff & Jaxon Montgomery
- Dark Symphony - Byron Justicano & Antonietta Scarletti
- Dark Descent - Traian Trigovise & Joie Sanders
- Dark Melody - Dayan & Corinne Wentworth
- Dark Destiny - Nicolae Von Shrieder & Destiny
- Dark Hunger - Riordan De La Cruz & Juliette Sangria
- Dark Secret - Rafael De La Cruz & Colby Jansen
- Dark Demon - Vikirnoff Von Shrieder & Natalya Shonski
- Dark Celebration - none
- Dark Possession - Manolito De La Cruz & MaryAnn Delaney
- Dark Curse - Nicolas De La Cruz & Lara Calladine
- Dark Slayer - Razvan Shonski & Ivory Malinov
- Dark Peril - Dominic Dragonseeker & Solange Sangria
- Dark Predator - Zacarias De La Cruz & Marguarita Fernandez
- Dark Storm - Danutdaxton & Riley Parker
- Dark Lycan - Fenris Dalka & Tatijana Dragonseeker
- Dark Wolf - Dimitri Tirunul & Skyler Daratrazanoff
- Dark Blood - Zev Hunter & Branislava Dragonseeker
- Dark Crime - Maksim Volkov & Blaze McGuire
- Dark Ghost - André Boroi & Teagan Joanes
- Dark Promises - Aleksei & Gabrielle Sanders; Fane & Trixie Joanes
- Dark Carousel - Tariq Asenguard & Charlotte Vintage
- Dark Legacy - Dragomir Kozel & Emeline Sanchez
- Dark Sentinel - Andor Katona & Lorraine Peters
- Dark Illusion - Isai & Julija
- A male will not claim his lifemate before she is 18, when she would be considered and adult by human standards.
- This is to give the female time to grow and learn what a lifemate is, to mature enough to accept him. It also give the pair time to learn about each other, as well as allow the girl's family to teach her the basics of her abilities.
- As far as we know, only one lifemate pair never came together as they should have.